nafex - [nafex] Ed, Ozzie, Joe, Tom please read Re: What is going on with this tree????

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Ed, Ozzie, Joe, Tom please read Re: What is going on with this tree????
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 21:03:57 -0000

The only way you're going to know for sure is to have it analyzed by
your state extension agent.

It looks like all the pictures of fireblight I've seen, but I've been
blessed with never having experienced it.

I think I remember at a pesticide license update meeting (several
years ago) that some apples (I know this is a pear) will "kill" off
branches during the growing season and it will look like fireblight,
but is not (one difference is that the characteristic "shepards"
crook is not present).

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., fuwafuwausagi@u... wrote:
> It was written:
>

> > Yep, that's blight. Prune hard. Take at least 15 cm below the
> visible symptoms and sterilize your shears with
> > 10% bleach (0.5% sodium hypochlorite) or 70% ethanol between
cuts.
> It is a nasty disease. Best of luck.
> >
> > What variety is this tree?
> >
> > Yorrba
>
> My reply:
>
> Would a few more of you guys view the photos and state your opinion
> please. I'll let you know why I am so concerned after the
consensus