nafex - Re: [nafex] a whitney sport

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] a whitney sport
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 08:46:15 -0700

Not surprising that such a much-maligned tree produced a sport. The
multiple injuries would be more likely to cause it to form adventitious buds
or at least to force old buried buds, which increases the odds of a shoot
appearing from a cell that was mutated by natural means over the years.
Not that it is an astronomical increase, but by comparison a large number of
new sports of Red Delicious showed up in Washington State after a very hard
winter in the 1950's that froze trees back to the main limbs and forced a
lot of old buried buds to grow.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

Join the Garden Writers List
To subscribe, send a blank message to: Gardenwriters-subscribe@topica.com