nafex - Re: [nafex] a whitney sport

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] a whitney sport
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 00:50:12 -0400

Derry,
According to Beach (Apples of NY) and Macoun (Ag.Canada bulletin 86, 1916),
the Whitney from Illinois is a large crabapple, so Crawford seems to be
wrong (I guess Ed is laughing). The dates of origin agree between all
authors (c.1860-1869). 50 mm appears to be a normal size for it, and this
is about the size of mine. The fruits I got correspond very well with
Beach's description.
I would speculate that it is the Illinois Whitney that has been introduced
in Europe.

Claude

A 13:14 01.05.17 -0700, vous avez écrit :
>Claude,
>
>Flowering Crabapples by Father John Fiala. Timber Press, Portland Oregon,
1994.

>The emphasis is on ornamental crabapples, but it is a good book. No
mention is
>made of bloom time, or fertility of the pollen.
>
>The reason I wondered about Whitney is because of recent confusion with
the two
>Crimson Beauties and some other variety ... there was a European and a N
American