nafex - [nafex] a whitney sport

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] a whitney sport
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 11:57:51 -0000

This tree has quite a history...planted in 1940 on a newly settled
farm(much of this area wasn't settled until the 1900's) it grew up just big
enough to be crushed "while we were putting up ice". To be reborn soon
enough to feed threshing crews, and killed to the ground 2 more times. Said
my dear 85 year old neighbor Minerva. She is still grafting fruit trees at
her age on the same property, nothing shows more hope for the future than
that!
Anyway, in its present reincarnation it had barely one scion for me
take and try to propagate. I got 3 whips to take last year. Minerva is
relieved, 'this apple must be saved, its an inch bigger than a normal
whitney'. Hopefully this year I'll get to taste one from her tree, the tree
with at least 3 lives.
I looked up whitney crabs on google, found plenty of places that sell
the
fruit, but not much description of the apple itself. Does anyone favor this
apple? Mn. Del Z2/3