nafex - Re: [nafex] Exploring Not Quite Cherries

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Exploring Not Quite Cherries
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 13:13:58 -0500

At 12:33 PM 05/08/2001 +0000, Vic wrote:
>Dr. Ian Evans from Alberta sent in a good article with a lot of
>information about a very northern hardy small cherry tree on its own roots
>that bears super crops. St. Lawrence has it under the name 'Bali.'

I've got a Bali from SLN - this will be its first year to fruit, but it's
survived longer than any other cherry I've planted here - borers usually
take them out in their second year.
It's supposed to have a later maturation period than Montmorency/NorthStar,
etc.
The SLN offering is a tissue-cultured plant, so any suckers that come up
are genetic clones. I've dug and distributed several to friends, and
noticed, just this weekend, that there are perhaps a dozen new root sprouts
springing up around it this spring.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY