nafex - Re: [nafex] Lodi vs. Yellow Transp.

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Lodi vs. Yellow Transp.
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:40:09 -0400

Hi,

Nobody likes Melba?

=====
Geneva Description; Melba
Comments:: Size medium 57-63;44-51mm; shape flat to intermediate, rectangular
to truncate-conic, convex, ribbed on body and at eye; skin pale yellow with
pinkish
stripes and flecks; white bloom; flesh firm, crisp, very white; flavour
subacid, sweet
season early. "Tender, but good breeder", Coutts (1991). Shelf life short.
====

The only real drawback is that you are swimming in Yellow Transparent when
Melba is ready, and when they are ready, they are READY.

Tom

Sam Franc wrote:

> Don Yellman wrote:
>
> > Helene:
> > I have not grown Lodi, but some of my relatives out in Iowa have
> > one, and it appears to be identical in character and appearance to my
> > Yellow Transparent. Most nursery info describes Lodi as an "improved"
> >
> > Yellow Transparent, although I have never been clear on wherein the
> > improvement lies. It may be that it has the potential to be slightly
> > larger, although thinning can produce quite a large Y.T. as well.
> > Mine
> > grow so fast that they often crack as they approach the yellow stage,
> > and have to be removed immediately. I once read about the cross that
> > produced Lodi, and I think your info is correct that it was
> > Montgomery,
> > whatever that is.
> > I do have another Y.T. cross: Early Cortland, which is Y.T. x
> > Cortland, but the appearance is quite different than Y.T. in that it
> > is
> > a red apple, and ripens just a few days later than Y.T.. I think it
> > is
> > also slightly more durable off the tree than Y.T.. Unfortunately, my
> > Early Cortland tree, although large and mature, has never had enough
> > blossoms to set a decent crop of fruit in spite of my best efforts to
> > prune and shape it into submission. The same thing is happening again
> >
> > this spring. I can see fewer than a dozen blossom clusters up there.
> > The tree is over 10 years old, and I still don't have enough fruit to
> > even make a judgment on it.
>
> Early Cortland is not an aggressive tree here on the Oreogon Coast, but
> it is a good tasteing apple. It rates on the low side in compartive
> taste tests but still gets a 6.5 out of 10. Earlier in the season it
> rates higher.
> Akane is more prolific here for an early apple.
> Neither Lodi nor Y.T. get high ratings here.
> They do turn to mush easily for applesauce though.
> My wife much prefers a tastier apple for her sauce.
> She likes Northern Spy or Spygold for her sauce even though she has to
> mash them.
> For all around good taste she prefers:
> Zabergau Reinette
> Liberty
> Florinda
> Claymont Permain
> Jonamac
> Empire
> Seiki Ichi
> Sweet Sixteen
> Akane
> In that order. The order varies with the other tasters, but in general
> these are high on everyones list.
> She did not like Early Cortland but others rated it higher than she did.
>
> One very noticable thing is that the ratings vary greatly on the degree
> of ripeness.
> The early tests are quite different than the same apple later in the
> season.
> Also I find the rating here varies considerable from apples that are
> [...]

Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada
Hardiness Zone 6a

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM