nafex - [nafex] Gnats (was Re: Lodi vs. Yellow Transp.)

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Gnats (was Re: Lodi vs. Yellow Transp.)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:49:28 -0000

I've found that a hat with a wide brim also helps with gnats (they
tend to buzz around at the hat brim instead of at your face), but I
have doubts that this would be any use for the black flies...

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., Don Yellman <dyellman@e...> wrote:
> Helene:
> I have not grown Lodi, but some of my relatives out in Iowa have
> one, and it appears to be identical in character and appearance to
my
> Yellow Transparent. Most nursery info describes Lodi as
an "improved"
> Yellow Transparent, although I have never been clear on wherein the
> improvement lies. It may be that it has the potential to be
slightly
> larger, although thinning can produce quite a large Y.T. as well.
Mine
> grow so fast that they often crack as they approach the yellow
stage,
> and have to be removed immediately. I once read about the cross
that
> produced Lodi, and I think your info is correct that it was
Montgomery,
> whatever that is.
> I do have another Y.T. cross: Early Cortland, which is Y.T. x
> Cortland, but the appearance is quite different than Y.T. in that
it is
> a red apple, and ripens just a few days later than Y.T.. I think
it is
> also slightly more durable off the tree than Y.T.. Unfortunately,
my
> Early Cortland tree, although large and mature, has never had enough
> blossoms to set a decent crop of fruit in spite of my best efforts
> prune and shape it into submission. The same thing is happening
again
> this spring. I can see fewer than a dozen blossom clusters up
there.
> The tree is over 10 years old, and I still don't have enough fruit
> even make a judgment on it.
>
> BTW, I was thinking about your black flies, and, although they
may
> be more agressive than the gnats that plague N. Virginia in summer,
> have had great success by spraying a little "OFF" into my palm and
> applying it around my eyes and ears, which are the favorite gnat
> targets. On a moist day in summer, I am often out there puttering
> around in a virtual cloud of gnats, and I am not even a really tasty
> morsel.
>
> Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM