nafex - Re: [nafex] sterile chestnuts

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] sterile chestnuts
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:45:57 -0400

"Lon J. Rombough" wrote:

> And as I say, the tree
> in question is very shy about producing anything - it has about 5% or less
> of the number of catkins that the productive trees have.

Obviously useless as a nut-tree, but I wonder if someone in the nursery
business might be interested in grafting it as a less allergenic
chestnut. (Assuming it has an attractive growth habit.) I understand
that chestnuts are a fairly allergenic tree, and there is growing
interest in "safer" shade trees. All female trees don't shed pollen,
but they can be very messy.

Ginda