nafex - Re: [nafex] sterile chestnuts

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] sterile chestnuts
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:18:28 -0400

Lon
Do you have a Nevada chestnut? It is the supposedly the one that will
pollinate it. From the people I know that grow that variety here in
Michigan.
Gordon
I have a good number of chestnuts on my place, all seedlings, with all four
main species represented in the genes. However, I have a "Colossal"
seedling that is apparently sterile. It is more than 15 years old and has
been producing catkins (though not many) for at least half that time. There
is such a mix of chestnuts in the area I can't believe SOMETHING wouldn't
pollinate it, but I'm not sure I've even ever seen female flowers on it, let
alone a single bur or nut. Knowing the mixed ancestry of the variety, I'm
not surprised that a seedling of it might be sterile, depending on how the
genes reassorted, but I was wondering how common such sterile trees are.
Any information on that out there?
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

Join the Garden Writers List
To subscribe, send a blank message to: Gardenwriters-subscribe@topica.com