nafex - Re: [nafex] glass

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] glass
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:05:02 +0000

>From Vic in NH

I have worked in greenhouses both palstic and glass, my sunroom is built with
sliding door panels on both the walls and the ceiling. I have never found a
different result from the amount of light to be had from either of the two.
(There is a marked difference in the amount of light available due to the lack
of the sun's candle power during the winter months of December and January.
There is a monthly chart somewhere, Weather Channel?)
I have found that when light is direct and plentiful, the major contributor to
legginess is overly warm temps. Believe it or not, seedlings do not prefer a
sauna like environment once they have germinated. Fans and cooler temps will
go
a long way towards producing strong stocky plants.
Go for the glass!! ..............vic

Gordon Nofs wrote:

> Well My 2 cents.
> I have been replacing my old double paned aluminum windows with Anderson
> High E windows. The one in my kitchen is about 5 foot by 9 foot. Big window
> center, with a small windows for vents each side. The first year I tried to
> start and grow seedlings they grew tall and leggy and reached for the
> window. High E reflects the rays so they do not penetrate the house. So now
> I have to start inside, and transplant or move to my cold frame. Any plants
> that flower especially do reach for the outside. So you have to watch for
> this on double glazing or thermopane. High E has a film that cannot be seen
> between the panes.
> Gordon
> From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
> Hi,
>
> Not an expert, but Lexan is the best glass for greenhouses, preffered by
> those with deep pockets everywhere. (smile)
>
> It is all a matter of light transmission. Lexan is the best for light
> transmission, and white sheet plastic is the worst, but plants still grow
> under under the white plastic.
>
> You need to answer some basic questions before you proceed.
>
> What plants do you want to grow
>
> Heating
>
> Cooling
>
> Positioning on lot
>
> How much sun do you get
>
> Type of covering (lots of choices better than glass)
>
> Size of greenhouse
>
> There are a lot more questions I did not list.
>
> If you live in Arizona would Lexan be a good choice, or would you be
> creating a heat problem during the summer months. Would less light
> transmission be optimal for you? Will you need whitewash (liquid shade)
> or shade cloth? Do you get a lot of hale, is snow load an issue.
>
> You may be best off to build a small hobby greenhouse first ($100 and
> under) and test things out. Then go on to a bigger better models.
>
> Not an expert, just things I have picked up from a greenhouse egroup.
>
> I am building a portable gothic arch myself this season (8.5'x12') and the
> plans are free (Extension Service), and materials cost under $100 US.
>
> Let me know if you want the link to them.
>
> Ciao,
> Tom
>
> --
> Thomas Olenio
> Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a
>
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, del stubbs wrote:
>
> > We've been offered a bunch of double pane glass, cheap. I think to put it
> > aside for next years greenhouse building project. In the back of my mind
> > remember a discussion that regular window glass is the wrong kind of
> glass
> > to use for growing plants. But people certainly grow and propagate inside
> > their home's windows. Any opinions? Any knowledgable glassophiles out
> > there? Thanks, Mn.Del

Teach your child to read with Hooked on Phonics!
Hooked on Phonics is easy for parents, fun for
children and highly recommeded by educators.
Discover why over 2 million families have purchased
Hooked on Phonics to help their children succeed.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/oPDEUD/mfYCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM