nafex - Re: [nafex] glass

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@harborside.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] glass
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:12:33 -0700

Phil Norris wrote:

> Del,
>
> I don't know where you heard that window glass was the wrong kind for
> plant growth. As far as I'm concerned it is absolutely the right
> stuff. We grow many plants under glass here in Maine and are able to
> extend our season, especially in the spring. Glass is cheap and
> plentiful. Why just yesterday at the town dump I got there just in
> time to see a man loading sheet after sheet on his pickup. Someone
> had replaced the double glazed windows on their house and had
> thoughtfully piled all the old glass carefully at the dump so that
> the next guy could have them.
>
> I just priced some glazing materials for some broken cold frame
> lights. Double strength glass was $25 for a 2X4 sheet. Lexan was
> $40 for the same piece. And Lexan scratches easily. It is tough
> though.
>
> Phil Norris Z4 East Blue Hill, Maine
>
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
[www.newaydirect.com]

Here on the Oregon coast I can get a piece of 3' x 6' tempered 1/8"
glass for $21.
I can get 2' x 12' corrugated lexan for $25.
At the recycling yard I can get thermal pane Aluminum sliding door
sections for $15.
Single pane panels are $10
Sam

Teach your child to read with Hooked on Phonics!
Hooked on Phonics is easy for parents, fun for
children and highly recommeded by educators.
Discover why over 2 million families have purchased
Hooked on Phonics to help their children succeed.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/oPDEUD/mfYCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM