nafex - RE: [nafex] glass

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <erdmanj@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@yahoogroups.com'" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: "'pinewoodel@hotmail.com]'" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com]>
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] glass
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:05:02 -0500

Del said:
>We've been offered a bunch of double pane glass, cheap. I think to put it
aside for next years greenhouse building project. In the back of my mind I
remember a discussion that regular window glass is the wrong kind of glass
to use for growing plants. But people certainly grow and propagate inside
their home's windows. Any opinions? Any knowledgable glassophiles out
there? Thanks, Mn.Del
____________________________________

We tore an old rotting porch off the south side of our house a few years
ago, and replaced it with a "sun room" that has a tiled concrete slab floor,
low pitch shingled roof, and vertical double-pane patio glass for glazing.
The roof overhang is enough so that on June 21st almost no direct sunlight
reaches the floor at noon. We grow lettuce and spinach all winter in boxes
in the room, and start all the garden plants as well as overwinter herbs,
some peppers and tomatoes, citrus trees (a new project). There is a french
door between this room and the rest of the house. There is no heat in the
sun room, but I did put coils for hot-water radiant heat in the floor slab
so that when I get around to providing a source of warm water for heating I
will be able to keep the room warmer.
I haven't noticed any problems due to the glass. Double pane glass might
not be optimal for a commercial green house, but we wanted a dual-purpose
space, and the insulating value of the thermopane-style glass is worth it to
us (although we are working on insulating shades--"Warm Windows" roman-style
shades).

Jim Erdman (Menomonie, WI)

Teach your child to read with Hooked on Phonics!
Hooked on Phonics is easy for parents, fun for
children and highly recommeded by educators.
Discover why over 2 million families have purchased
Hooked on Phonics to help their children succeed.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/oPDEUD/mfYCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM