nafex - Re: [nafex] tree guards

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] tree guards
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:42:41 -0600

At 10:41 AM 02/17/2001 -0600, Mark wrote:
>personally, I found
>that in every species that i used those plastic tree
>guards,like TREE ESSEntials sells ,they either did no help
>in stimulating tree growth and or they caused the tree to
>cook in the sun,even the PawPaws. Maybe they just can't work
>in this steamy Zone5b Karst topography,but I tried them on
>over 40 species of trees and with above said results.

Mark,
I've had similar experience with the TreeEssentials Tubex/SuperTubes, as
well as the older TreePros.
TreePro now has a 'vented' shelter - numerous rows of 1/2" holes bored in
the wall of the tube. Trees don't 'cook'. However, I only use them for the
establishment year anymore - while trees inside the tubes grow rapidly,
they're quite spindly, and sometimes will 'corkscrew' inside some of the
smaller-diameter shelters.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY