nafex - [nafex] nature moment-off topic

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] nature moment-off topic
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:04:31 -0000

Had to share this one....Yesterday I saw something white fall out of
the
box-elder tree next to our orchard. My brain first said "snow" but then the
tree is snowless.....next moment I saw a weasal (ermine) flying back up the
tree....hunting frantically( their normal speed) and jumped at a large gray
squirrel. The squirrel dodged ...the weasal went flinging off the tree
again, hit the snow bank and.....repeated this 5 times! chasing around the
entire tree. Inevitably, the tireless weasal got a hold on the much larger
squirrel - they fell to the ground and fought for a half hour. sometimes the
squirrel freeing and back up the tree.
Eventually they tumbled into the old remains of a log chicken house
under
the tree, and all was quiet.....whew. They are one of my prime defenses
against the field mice that populate the orchard area. I feed them red
squirrrels and mice hoping they will populate. One ermine used to come say
daily to see if i had venison scraps or mice. But i've never seen such
fearsome predation. Went on so long I got time to get photos. Missed one
where the weasal was hanging by its teeth off of the poor squirrels ear and
the squirrel hanging by its back feet!
O.K. I'll try to be good--fruit topic next time Mn. Del