nafex - [nafex] WPBR

  • From: pinewoodel@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] WPBR
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 06:17:18 -0000

Ribes question...The principle reason i've avoided the ribes
family so far is ignorance about rust and pines--yet they both seem so
suited to our soil and climate- & there's plenty of wild gooseberies
around
We have 60 acres of mixed forest that once was part of the great
white pine forests of this area and I hope to help bring parts of it
to somewhat resemble that again( long after I'm dead of course). It's
time to order plants now, So I was doing an archive search of the
subject and found this last years post(below).....
What time of year do the WPBR spores spread? This could allow
plantings on the downwind side depending on the season- if indeed there
is one. My understanding is that the suseptable trees are the young
ones with branches close to the ground-moist conditions
I origionally thought that i'm being overworrysome about the
problem since there are resident gooseberries- then i read the article
below.....Are the resistent black currents considered resistent enough
if they're in pine areas? are there really 2 distinct WPBR's? ( If
this has been answered before and i missed it, do say so)Thanks Mn. Del
z2b
> ----------
> From: Dan Sorensen <dan@P...>
> To: nafex@onelist.com
> Subject: [nafex] Re:Gooseberries
> Date: Fri, Jan 28, 2000, 1:54 PM
>

> From: Dan Sorensen <dan@P...>
>
> For what it's worth and NOT to suggest that anyone should circumvent the
> law:
> I visited Professor E. M. Meader at his home in New Hampshire back in 1985.
> He gave me a wonderful tour of his farm and showed me many amazing and
> marvelous things! One of them was a planting of gooseberry plants
> underneath a planting of large white pines. I expressed surprise and asked
> if that wasn't likely to be a problem if not at least a bit illegal. He
> grinned and impish grin and said those plants had been there for over twenty
> years and only one time did the pines get blister rust. He discovered a
> neighbor had planted black currants, which he convinced him to remove and
> the rust also disappeared. His explanation was that the WPBR which infected
> gooseberries was different than the WPBR which infected black currants and
> our pines could tolerate the one but not the other. I belive he also
> pointed out that native gooseberries and white pines coexisted on this
> continent for millenia before the Europeans came here and introduced their
> own version of the disease.
>

> Dan Sorensen

> Dan Sorensen Visit my Experimental Gardening Website at:
> RD2 Box 57 http://users.penn.com/~dan/
> <http://users.penn.com/~dan/>
> Russell, PA 16345 Northwestern Pennsylvania USDA Zone 5
> dan@p... Penn State Master Gardener & Ham Radio- WB8VEF

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://click.egroups.com/1/11231/0/_/423498/_/981353844/