nafex - Re: [nafex] Blueberries

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Blueberries
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:34:04 -0500

St. Lawrence Nurseries has an excellent on-line catalog at
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/ which has much of the parentages, etc.,
for these plants. Other sources list a higher mature height for St.
Cloud - perhaps it depends on climate.
http://www.vaccinium.com/home.html also has lots of cultivar
descriptions on-line, with more of a focus on the commercial grower, as
they only sell wholesale. Of the three you are interested in, they only
list Chippewa.

Ginda

Claude Jolicoeur wrote:

> Doreen and Ginda,
> Thanks a lot for your comments on blueberry.
> If others have information on these blueberries (hybrid highbish/lowbush:
> Chippewa, Friendship and St-Cloud), wether their origin, parentage or other
> things, I would appreciate.
>
> Claude
>
> A 19:20 01.01.31 -0600, vous avez écrit :
> >Claude,
> >I grew Chippewa in Springfield, IL, which is USDA zone 5b. It did well and
> >had fruit on it the second spring. The only problem I had with it was
> >rabbits! Finally had to cage it with chicken wire to get it going.
> >Chippewa was a nice size bush, and I planted it next to Northblue for
> >pollination.
> >Doreen Howard
> >Now Zone 4b
> >
> >I have a couple of St. Cloud. They seem healthy, and the berries taste
> >very good. They are sweet and have a good blueberry flavor. They are
> >not huge berries, not much larger than the large end of wild
> >blueberries. (I was looking for small berries, the better to cook into
> >pancakes.) Mine are young, and the bunnies got most of the fruiting
> >buds last year, so I don't know how productive they are. There are lots
> >of buds (behind mesh) this winter. The bushes have attractive fall
> >foliage, and the flowers are mildly ornamental, too.
> >
> >Ginda Fisher

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://click.egroups.com/1/11231/0/_/423498/_/981401732/