nafex - Re: [nafex] hole digging

  • From: jim <jmc1@epix.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] hole digging
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 21:49:35 +0000

I second Ed's remarks, and will add my own 2-cents' worth:

1)  Stay off your land until it is reasonably friable.  Don't auger it, don't spade it, don't drive your horse across it -- on heavy clay, the compaction damage you can do takes a long time to reverse.
2)  You can utilize a circular digger, tho -- a 9 or 10 inch auger to make the initial hole, followed by a gorilla-powered spade.  Your auger will make Ed's clay pot, but your gorilla can destroy that by creating a 12-14 inch hole.
3)  Even on good friable soil, using an auger very often results in a hole 16-18-24 inches deep.  So much fun seeing that dirt spilling out.  That too-deep hole, though, will present a delayed settling problem.  You carefully set your tree with the union 4 inches above soil level -- and then the soil level falls by 5 inches, and you're in the scion-rooting business.  Fine if you want a big standard tree!!

//Jim
www.cumminsnursery.com

Ed & Pat Fackler wrote:

Del----------

     My only comment re: below is that digging holes in clay soils with any
type of circular digger will almost guarantee a clay pot, even if soils are
only slightly wet.
     If you are insistent on digging with such a device, I'd use a fork to
deglaze the sides prior to planting of trees.  Otherwise, your trees will
be sitting in a clay pot for over a year (or until frost heaving breaks up
the sides of the hole).  This generally results in literal drowning of tree
roots.

Ed

pinewoodel@hotmail.com wrote:

> just did an archive search and found nothing relevant.... ive got 200
> holes to dig for trees this spring in our heavy clay. Was able to
> borrow once a Gravely garden tractor with a hole digging attachment.
> Its a rorary drill for planting , digs a hole about 16" wide and 16"
> deep.Its advantage is that it grinds up the clay.   If i had the
> physical stamina and was built like a gorilla i could consider hand
> digging but the clay would come out in spade size blocks, not so nice
> for roots. Graveleys are a heavy duty machine and not every one knows
> they make a hole digger.  However my only other option at present is to
> find a way to attach an old 9" post hole auger i bought to the loader
> of my farmall M tractor ( they don't have 3 pt. hitches).   Has anyone
> seen a post hole auger fited to a loader of a tractor?    I figure with
> this configuration  i could drill multiple holes and break up the
> clay.How do you all dig holes?     minnesota del

eGroups Sponsor
Choose 3 DVDs for $0.49 each!
Choose 3 DVDs for $0.49 each!