nafex - Re: [nafex] hole digging

  • From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] hole digging
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:29:58 -0500

Del----------

My only comment re: below is that digging holes in clay soils with any
type of circular digger will almost guarantee a clay pot, even if soils are
only slightly wet.
If you are insistent on digging with such a device, I'd use a fork to
deglaze the sides prior to planting of trees. Otherwise, your trees will
be sitting in a clay pot for over a year (or until frost heaving breaks up
the sides of the hole). This generally results in literal drowning of tree
roots.

Ed