nafex - [nafex] hole digging

  • From: pinewoodel@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] hole digging
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:58:02 -0000

just did an archive search and found nothing relevant.... ive got 200
holes to dig for trees this spring in our heavy clay. Was able to
borrow once a Gravely garden tractor with a hole digging attachment.
Its a rorary drill for planting , digs a hole about 16" wide and 16"
deep.Its advantage is that it grinds up the clay. If i had the
physical stamina and was built like a gorilla i could consider hand
digging but the clay would come out in spade size blocks, not so nice
for roots. Graveleys are a heavy duty machine and not every one knows
they make a hole digger. However my only other option at present is to
find a way to attach an old 9" post hole auger i bought to the loader
of my farmall M tractor ( they don't have 3 pt. hitches). Has anyone
seen a post hole auger fited to a loader of a tractor? I figure with
this configuration i could drill multiple holes and break up the
clay.How do you all dig holes? minnesota del