nafex - Re: [nafex] Blue Understory

  • From: PermacultureNo1@aol.com
  • To: sharplr@yahoo.com, nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Blue Understory
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:57:16 EST

In a message dated 1/10/01 5:22:05 PM, sharplr@yahoo.com writes:

<< If you do not know what Florida betony is you must not
have it and you should consider yourself lucky.
Because once you get it you will spend the rest of
your life trying to eradicate it.

I haven't found any need to eradicate it. It is entirely edible and a great
forage for people, wildlife, bees, and livestock. It foliates during the
cooler weather, and puts out tubers to carry over the hot weather, so it does
not compete with the common warm season grasses hereabouts. We have been
brainwashed to regard scarcity as valuable and fear abundance. Personally,
any totally useful plant that grows freely here, such as betony or kudzu, is
most welcome. We can use them as fast or faster than they grow.

Dan Hemenway
Barking Frogs Permaculture Center
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/frames.html
or
http://www.permaculture.net/~EPTA/Hemenway.htm

The protocol for our Annual Permaculture Design Course Online is at
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/protocol.html

For a copy of Barking Frogs Permaculture Center's annual letter, just issued,
email us at BarkingFrogsPC@aol.com

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html