nafex - Re: [nafex] Purple leaves, tasty fruit

  • From: jim <jmc1@epix.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Purple leaves, tasty fruit
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:04:07 +0000

In NY, Prunus x cistena is extraordinarily susceptible to Pseudamonas canker.  If you've any inoculum around, it will find cistena.

//Jim
www.cumminsnursery.com

Mark Lee wrote:

I enjoy purple leaves the landscape.  I keep my eyes open for plants
that provide tasty edibles and also have purple leaves.  I have been
growing purple leaved kale in my garden for years.  Last year I
planted a purple beech in hopes of beating the squirrels to the beech
nuts. This tree died from neglect during our dry summer :( so I think
I will plant another.

While researching cherries recently, I came across Prunus x cistena,
purple leaved sand cherry.  It mainly offer ornament in the garden,
but a few fruits sometimes show up also.  I noticed that Raintree
Nursery offers it.

Any experience with Prunus x cistena?  Lon, is this like nanking
cherry that doesn't have a chance in the wet Pacific Northwest?

Thanks,
Mark Lee
Seattle

eGroups Sponsor