nafex - [nafex] Purple leaves, tasty fruit

  • From: "Mark Lee" <piper3@uswest.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Purple leaves, tasty fruit
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:40:28 -0000

I enjoy purple leaves the landscape. I keep my eyes open for plants
that provide tasty edibles and also have purple leaves. I have been
growing purple leaved kale in my garden for years. Last year I
planted a purple beech in hopes of beating the squirrels to the beech
nuts. This tree died from neglect during our dry summer :( so I think
I will plant another.

While researching cherries recently, I came across Prunus x cistena,
purple leaved sand cherry. It mainly offer ornament in the garden,
but a few fruits sometimes show up also. I noticed that Raintree
Nursery offers it.

Any experience with Prunus x cistena? Lon, is this like nanking
cherry that doesn't have a chance in the wet Pacific Northwest?

Thanks,
Mark Lee
Seattle