nafex - Re: [nafex] Virginia Cider

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Virginia Cider
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:59:08 -0500

Have you tried Liberty? I picked some slightly overripe Liberties a few
years ago - the texture was awful (mealy, mushy) but the flavor was
incredibly rich and complex. This was in New Jersey, where it was too
warm to grow a decent Mac. I know they run a little small, but I
wouldn't think that would matter much for cider.

Happy New Year,
Ginda

Don Yellman wrote:

> Ken:
>
> I have spent the past 25 years trying to establish a decent orchard
> in Northern Virginia, and have been making fresh and fermented cider for
> the past 5 years. Your valley climate in general shouldn't be too much
> different from mine, although you may have more pronounced temperature
> extremes due to your elevation. While I can tell you about my own
> experiences, the real authority on apple varieties adapted to Virginia's
> climate is Dr. Tom Burford (also a Nafexer) who lives in Monroe.
>
> 1. When talk turns to cider varieties, it almost inevitably revolves
> around English varieties, and a few old French apples. No question that
> the English and French are masters of cider, and many of their old
> varieties are marvelous cider apples --- for them. But I am not
> entirely persuaded that all of these apples are well adapted to
> Virginia, which is about 15 degrees South of the major English and
> French growing areas. Ouir summers are considerably warmer and longer,
> and we have more disease pressures. Also, while many of the older
> varieties are very good, they are not good just because they are old.
> Many of the old-timers are not very productive. There are some
> excellent modern cultivars that will also make excellent cider, and grow
> well with reduced disease problems in the mid-Atlantic region.
>
> 2. I have tried to plant varieties that ripen roughly in the same
> timeframe --- that is, early to mid-October, certainly no later than
> mid-September. I just don't have a cool, moist area to hold apples at
> top quality for longer than 2-3 weeks. Cidermaking is quite an
> operation here, involving equipment setup, and washing and cutting by
> friends, relatives and in-laws. (I grind the fruit in a garbage
> disposal, so most of it has to be cut.) So we try to do it all in one
> hectic day. It is my impression that many of the European apples will
> ripen here considerably earlier --- beginning in August. Nevertheless,
> I do have a Foxwhelp, a nice branch graft of Kingston Black, and a
> couple of the French Calville Blanc's.
>
> 3. Here are a few that are have been performing well for me, and some
> that are my hopes for the future. I think all of them have the kind of
> complex flavors that hold up well in blended cider, fresh or fermented:
> -- Spigold: I don't hear much about this apple, but it is the best
> all-around apple I have grown so far. A little slow to bloom and bear
> (fifth year), but practically disease free, with apples (when thinned)
> averaging over a pound each. When you look at these things, you think
> an apple that big can't taste like much, but it is always crisp and very
> juicy, with a complex, sweet-tart flavor. If you plant it, leave plenty
> of space, since it is a very vigorous grower even on M-7. A triploid.
> -- Mutsu: Very similar in appearance and quality to Spigold --- perhaps
> a bit spicier. Apples average over a pound, and it bears annually.
> [...]

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/978062201/