nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Plant shipping costs

  • From: PermacultureNo1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Plant shipping costs
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:41:40 EST

In a message dated 12/20/00 10:18:43 AM, mauch1@aol.com writes:

<< [snip]Most local retail nurseries seem to cater to a very low common
denominator. And interesting varietal selection is almost nil.
There is one mail-order/retail nursery an hour away that does carry
some interesting varieties of apples and peaches, but not things like
pluots.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6 >>

That is an ineresting observation. I am coming more and more to buy material
offered from local nurseries and even places such as Home Depot, which indeed
carries some materials from speciality nurseries a bit distant to reach by
car. There are also quite a few interesting plant sales, some frequented by
rare plant freaks, medicinal herb freaks, etc., where one can pick up
interesting material. I'm coming to feel that I am better-off growing
rootstock and buying scion wood where I can't get locally a variety I seek.
Of course buying scion wood is not as easy as it sounds, as a lot of growers
thing they will force me to buy their grown plants if they blow me off on a
scion wood request. Strange psychology.

There are speciality nurseries, and these often have MORE varieties than I
can find in a typical catalog. Given the cost of driving somewhere, I doubt
that I save money over shipment. But I do see what I am getting, and often
the price is lower than shipping by mail, even disregarding transport.
Moreover, I can get the containerized plants when I want them, which for us
is when the rainy season starts, not whenever someone's spring in some other
part of the country happens to occur. We do order from certain mail order
places too--but more and more I find I get better results from the material
that I buy locally.

Dh

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/977334115/