nafex - Re: [nafex] Plant shipping costs

  • From: PermacultureNo1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Plant shipping costs
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:28:23 EST

John:
Why don't you just use the good old US Mail. I've never had the US mail
"lose" a package, deliver it to a vacant house, leave it outdoors exposed to
weather in hurricane season, deliver it to neighbors who may or may not
decide to keep it for themselves, deliver it to places I've long since ceased
to live at, etc., etc., etc. We have pretty good drivers where we are now,
though no responsible parent would let his/her children outdoors at 5 p.m. or
so when they come bombing through the area. Mostly they deliver to the right
people, though things do get left outdoors from time to time and it is hit or
miss whether they bother to get the "required"signature. FedEx is worse
because they don't want to come out to rural addresses--they only want the
cream of closely packed urban deliveries. They will claim that the road was
impassible on days when three or four vehicles use it, including UPS. From
the customer's point of view, I would like my mail delivered to my post
office box where I can pick it up when I am around and it will be under cover
otherwise, and air conditioned in warm weather, a very important
consideration if one is expecting live plant material. (Fortunately, the
road is to the east of our buildings, so generally materials are in the shade
if delivered by UPS--they come in the afternoon and they happen to come when
we are not away for a few days.

We have been shipping permaculture books and publicatons via US mail since
1982, and shipping them all over the world. We have never had a case where
the person didn't get the mail, though in some cases it had been slow.
(Mostly foreign, via surface, which would not be use for live plants,
obviously.) When we lived in Canada, we got a mail box in Niagra Falls
because it was quicker to drive to the USA once a week than to wait for the
Canadian mail, which is slower than many "Third World" countries I've
visited. But the US Mail is OK--way better than any alternatives in my view.

Dan Hemenway
For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence
courses via email. Join our current online course, in progress. Copyright,
2000, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA Internships.
BarkingFrogsPC@aol.com
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/frames.html
or
http://www.permaculture.net/~EPTA/Hemenway.htm
We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/977156967/