nafex - Re: [nafex] Hardy Apricots

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Hardy Apricots
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:14:50 -0500

Hello John,
I think I heard about this orchard. This is St-Andre de Kamouraska, isn't
it? On the South shore of St-Lawrence River, by Riviere-du-Loup.

All this area on the South Shore, La Pocatiere, Kamouraska, was a famous
place to grow plums at the turn of the XX century. I have seen books
written in the beginning of the 1900' mentioning dozens of European plums
successfully grown in this area - and this is zone 4... I understand there
is something to do with the soil which is particularely favorable. There
would be quite a bit of old variety seeking to do out there.

I know the yellow Damas, it has the same shape and size than the blue Damas
(like a very small Italian) - my father used to call them "Gosses de
moines". The one I have is really round like a Mirabelle or a Reine-Claude.
It produced a few plums for the first time last year, so I don't know it
much yet. I bought this tree as a sucker under the name White plum (Prunier
blanc). It does winter kill a little bit on test winters, but not much and
comes back with good vigour.

Claude

A 10:20 00.12.18 -0800, vous avez écrit :
>Claude:
>
>Do you know about Maison de la Prune in Saint Andre? They have an
>orchard of Damas Bleu and a yellow Damas plum -I can't recall the name.
>Maybe it's the one you can't identify. They have a very nice orchard of
>over 1000 trees.
>
>John Bunker

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/977156267/