nafex - Re: [nafex] Fruitcake, the gift that keeps being given (back)

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Fruitcake, the gift that keeps being given (back)
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 14:59:31 -0600

To Joe and other fruitcake lovers,
There is only one fruitcake in the world. It was baked in 1956 and has
passed from person to person since, according to an old Johnny Carson joke.
Most people think of Currier and Ives lithographed tins filled with cherries
and walnuts entombed in stale, tasteless dough as fruitcake. It isn’t.
There are moist, delicate cakes spiked with liquor-soaked fruit. Real cake.
Real fruit.

I’ve collected and adapted numerous fruitcake recipes in the last 20 years.
This is my family’s favorite: (if you want more recipes, email me direct)
Doreen Howard
In the Arctic of Wisconsin--18 inches on the ground and -30F windchill today

Welsh Fruitcake
1 lbs. EACH dates, raisins and golden raisins
3/4 cup lemon rind (remove peel with a potato peeler from 4 lemons and
shred)
3/4 cup orange rind (peel from 3 oranges)
1 lbs. EACH dried apricots, peaches and apples
1/2 lb. dried pineapple rings
or
1 20-oz. can juice-packed pineapple chunks
1 lb. dried cherries
or
1 16-oz. cans water-packed pitted sour cherries
1 lb. walnuts, pecans, filberts or black walnuts, shelled
2 cups of apple cider or apple brandy (Calvados is the best)
2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup margarine (2 sticks)
1/2 cup honey
1 cup molasses
6 large eggs
1 TBS. cinnamon
1 tsp. EACH ginger, cloves, allspice and cardamom
1 tsp. nutmeg—freshly grated preferred
1 cup ripe persimmons, mashed
or
1 cup fruit jam

Chop fruit and nuts coarsely in a food processor or by hand. Combine fruit,
nuts and cider or brandy in an extra large mixing bowl or roaster pan.
Cover with plastic wrap and marinate overnight or up to 3 days.

Preheat oven to 275F. Add 1-1/2 cups of flour to the fruit mixture and toss
to coat all pieces. Set aside. Beat margarine until fluffy. Add honey and
molasses. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add spices, remaining flour and
persimmons. Beat batter until smooth. Pour over fruit mixture, and stir to
distribute batter evenly. Grease and flour pans. Turn into prepared pans.
Bake at 275F for about 3 hours for loaf pans and 3-1/2 hours for rings. Cool
and age a couple of days before serving. Makes two 9-inch rings or four
loaves.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/977086932/