nafex - Re: [nafex] viburnam trilobam

  • From: wsm311@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] viburnam trilobam
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 03:09:41 EDT

I have three trees. Here's a picture of one
http://www.homestead.com/peaceandcarrots/HeathersNewCameraPics.html

Here are some links you might find helpful......

The Highbush Cranberry - A Multipurpose Shrub
http://www.ag.usask.ca/cofa/departments/hort/hortinfo/fruit/cranbery.html
Medicinally, preparations of the fruit have been used as an astringent to
treat swollen glands. The bark yields a preparation (containing a bitter
compound called viburnine) that has been used as an apparently effective
antispasmodic for relief of menstrual and stomach cramps, and asthma. The
antispasmodic properties were independently known to European, Native
American, and Asian peoples.

HARDY TREE AND BUSH FRUITS
http://www.agt.net/public/pchenier/thesis/fruit.html

Saskatchewan Fruit Growers Association
http://www.aginfonet.com/agricarta/html/t_production14.html

Cold Hardiness Ratings for Selected Woody Plants
http://www.ars-grin.gov/ars/Beltsville/na/hardzone/hrdzon4.html

At McIntyre's, we hand-pick hardy plants that will survive in Zones 1-4.
http://www.mcintyres.com/

<< i'm in one of the tiny pockets of zone 2 that
northern minnesota is blessed with. im now 3 years into a lifelong
quest to grow any kind of fruit that can make it here, well or at all.
highbush cranbery is native, happy , and relatively rare here. an old
timer told me that was diferent before the depression in the 30's. he
and every other kid went out gathering it, selling the bark for a
handsome price as a medicinal-- so much so that it was well nearly
wiped out. are any of you nafexers growing these, a few or
commercially? does any one know of a market these days for the bark? >>

Wendy
Peace and Carrots Farm
Vermont
http://www.homestead.com/peaceandcarrots/