nafex - Re: [nafex] Ultimate deer prevention

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <Nikolai@v-wave.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Ultimate deer prevention
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 22:05:08 -0600 (MDT)

After years of trying many things to prevent deer damage, free ranging dogs
(got run over repeatedly at night), wolf scent (works, but only for 3 or 4
weeks), eggs (ditto), etc. I found the perfect solution. An 8 ft. gamewire
fence.

Why fight it? Its the ONLY thing that works long term. Cost in Canadian
dollars is about $1 per ft. if you put the fence up yourself. The wire was
$300 (Canadian, $195 US) for each 330 ft. roll, and the 10 ft. pressure
treated posts were about $10 each. I simply cemented in the corner posts
and every 10th post on the side run, and spaced the other posts 20 ft.
apart, tamping them in with a metal bar and garden soil.

Since money and time are concerns to all of us, use the "swiss cheese"
method of problem solving. Take little bites out of the problem until its
gone. Perhaps put in the posts this coming spring. Next year or later in
the summer erect a roll or two of wire. Take a few years to finish the job
if necessary. Time passes very quickly for all of us. After all, how old
will we be if it takes 7 years to very slowly erect an 8 ft. gamewire fence?
Now, how old will we be in 7 years if we don't erect a fence? We have all
read and reread the many posts on deer control. Since the ONLY thing that
works long term is an 8 ft. fence, why fight it? Just do it. Life is too
short to fret.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta

eLerts