nafex - [nafex] Fireside

  • From: "Michael and Nancy Phillips" <mphil@together.net>
  • To: <erdmanj@uwstout.edu>
  • Cc: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Fireside
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:01:05 -0400

Hi Jim,

Perhaps you're someone who can straighten out my apple mystery. I obtained scionwood for Fireside from two sources. And yes I'm now growing two distinctly different apples. Fireside A is grafted onto a multivariety tree, tends to develop a fairly extensive dull red blush, ripens late, and really has yet to taste great as the flavor reminds me more of an undeveloped Mac/Delicious cross. I have a graft of Connel Red (supposedly) on a branch just above that which appears to be the very same apple to me, perhaps with just a bit more percentage of red. Fireside B, on the other hand, is grafted onto two Antanovka rootstocks here, has a lovely orangish-red glow, appears even a bit striped, and tastes absolutely great: Slightly tart, good crunch, overtones of flavor complexity. I would grant it has more the qualities of the Minnesota apples developed from Malinda crosses. My Fireside B ripens a few weeks before the Fireside A version. I've always wondered what the Haralson apple is like, but the description of it being a deep red apple throws me. This latter apple definitely has a lovely glow. I just don't get to see many of the good Midwestern apples here in New England to compare.

I suspect it's a good thing we do better by our children at least as far as identification down through the years goes. I would urge everyone not to share scionwood until after you've seen fruit and can positively affirm you have the tree you think you have.

Michael Phillips
Lost Nation Orchard
RFD 1  Box 275
Groveton, NH 03582