nafex - Re: [nafex] "Pinning" Splice Grafts

  • From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] "Pinning" Splice Grafts
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 18:01:05 -0400

Tom Olenio wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone ever "pinned" a splice graft as demostrated in this photo?
>
> > http://www.vanplant.co.nz/technicalinfo/1graft5.jpg

My response---------

Yes, I've done it when inarching girdled trees in an effort to hold the
rootstock under the bark flap.
Otherwise, it is a total waste of time and can cause unnecessary damage
to the
grafted parts.

You wrote-------------

> My intial thought was it looked great, and it would make stabilizing the
> splice
> graft easy for a novice, while they wrapped it. Then I wondered how the
> young
> tree may be damaged in thefollowing winters, as cold would be transmitted
> to the
> core of the tree.
>
> Any thoughts?

My response--------

I don't think any additional cold damage would occur either way.
However,
pinning or using a nail for this purpose serves no purpose!!

ed

No bidding, no
guesswork. Just
great fares at Hotwire.