nafex - [nafex] Re: Splice Graft On Whip? (apple)

  • From: "Gordon C. Nofs" <gcnofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: tolenio@sentex.net, nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Splice Graft On Whip? (apple)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:52:35 EDT

Tom
Do what ever type graft you prefer. I would not leave another part of the
rootstock to compete with the graft. I graft as low as 4 inches on some
rootstock that I want to get started, and as small as 1/16 inch diameter. I
Graft at 1, 2, 3, 4 foot heights if the whip is tall enough.
I also have put on as many as 25 grafts on one apple tree 6 foot high,
only 25 because that was all the small branches that it had. I done this to
save varieties that I did not have seedlings to graft to at the time, or to
make sure I had scions if others did not take that I could use in the
future. (All 25 took) I have also cut off a 3 inch diameter american
persimmon this spring to make room for 4 bark grafts that I did not have
stock for till next spring. All took. This also gave me very good growth so
that I will see fruit next year and see if they will do well for me here.
Also make sure that you do not have any shoots between the root and the
graft. except I leave a bud near the graft to draw from the root to the bud,
this makes sure I get stuff to the graft. I will pinch back to one leaf on
this bud, till I see the graft is growing.
I have cut trees 4 to 6 inches and bark grafted. When they take, they put
on a lot of growth, and you have to watch and support to protect from wind
snapping off.

Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI.

Is it OK to do a splice graft on an apple whip, rather than a branch?

I have an apple seedling, which has two whips, and my plan is to splice
graft
one of the whips, leaving the other whip alone to feed the roots, and graft.
Once the splice graft is well healed and sprouting, cut off the other whip.

Is this a reasonable approach?

If this is a reasonable approach, how far off the ground should I do the
splice
on the whip. The whips are both 3 feet tall

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Tom

If you want to post your answer to NAFEX it is OK with me. Thanks again.
--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada