nafex - RE: [nafex] Re: 'Improved' varieties (apples)

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <erdmanj@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "'edforest55@hotmail.com '" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • Cc: "'nafex@egroups.com'" <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] Re: 'Improved' varieties (apples)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:06:32 -0500

-----Original Message-----

The only other improvement in flavor I know of going to a red sport
would be Connell Red. Or at least its definately as good as Fireside.

I have to say something about this--I've always wondered how two apples that
are supposed to be so closely related as Fireside and Connell Red
could be so different, with the "improved" sport, Connell Red, being so
inferior to the original. I've tried both varieties from a number of
orchards over many years, and although I really like Connell Red most year,
I was surprised at how good Fireside was when I finally found some of them.
Now I have a Fireside tree because Connell Reds are so common around here
(10 miles or so east of the Connell orchard where the variety was named).

By the way, the Connell orchard will be sold at auction on November 4th. It
will be divided up into a number of parcels, including some wooded pieces,
the orchard, and homes and building sites, if I remember correctly.

Jim (in Menomonie, WI)

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/15/_/423498/_/972500841/