nafex - Re: [nafex] Bud Grafting

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Bud Grafting
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:57:34 -0700

Need a credit card?
Instant Approval and 0% intro APR with Aria!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7101/15/_/423498/_/968898746/

Jack,

I wonder if you didn't wrap the tape tight enough. Start by overlapping the
top
of the tape so it cannot undo. The whole bud should be covered by
overlapping the
tape as you wind it up (or down) the grafted area. Then you wrap the tail
under
the last wrap and it cannot come undone.

Some of the books suggest you don't actually cover the new bud, but I cover
the
whole thing and the commercial budders do that too and it is not a problem
BUT the
wrap must be taken off after a minimum 3-4 weeks. I take mine off after
about 5-6
weeks. Do not leave the tape in place over the winter or the bud will rot.

If I were you, I'd repeat the exercise ASAP, but just below the failed bud and
hope you have good weather for the next month.

It is a lot easier to chip bud. Wrap the whole (new) bud and remove tape
after
about 5 weeks.

Cheers,

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML

.In just a few days the
: bark curled back on the grafts with the budding tape and split the tape
: which exposed the grafts to the air. Some of them appear to have healed but
: most dried out and died. Can someone tell what I did wrong???
:
: Jack Wigal
: Washington, WV
: Zone 6