nafex - Re: [nafex] Green Gage Plums

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Green Gage Plums
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:15:29 -0700

Green Gage is Prunus domestica, while Shiro is a Japanese-American hybrid.
Differences include bloom time, leaf appearance, shoot and bud appearance,
etc. Gages usually take 7 or more years to come into bearing, while Shiro
starts in about 2 years. Lots of other differences.
----------
>From: Sam Franc <franc@harborside.com>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Green Gage Plums
>Date: Wed, Aug 23, 2000, 9:05 AM
>

>How do you tell if it is a green gage or a shiro?
>Sam
>
>davidu9999@aol.com wrote:
>
>> I vote for Green Gage.  I have a young tree grafted from a mature tree I
>> found near a friends' home.  Having grown and fruited over 100 varieties of
>> plums (while in Mississippi), I rate this as a "keeper".  May not be green
>> gage but it matches the Plums of New York description.
>>
>> David Ulmer
>> Sebastopol, CA
>> USDA zone 8-9
>>
>> p.s. I never grew Green Gage in Mississippi as the Europeans don't do well
>> in
>> the deep south.

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7872/0/_/423498/_/967051049/