nafex - Re: [nafex] Weak Grape Cuttinings

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Weak Grape Cuttinings
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:14:00 -0500

Tom,
I second Lon's recommendation to use mycorrhizae. I, too, am a grape
novice. But, every cutting that I have started (after callusing them) has
grown into a vigorous plant with a heavy root system. I dust the callus
with mycorrhizae, fill a 1-gallon can with good soil (potting mix or garden
stuff that is very light), poke a deep hole with dowel and put the cutting
into it. I then push the soil around the cutting, water well and set
outside in the shade until I see buds break. Or, if I'm doing this when the
weather is cold, I set the cans near a south-facing window (about 4 feet
back) until I see buds break. Then the can goes next to the window. Lon
also has instructions on how to use a heating mat to get cuttings to root,
but I've never had to use bottom heat, and I live in a cold climate. One of
the callused cuttings this year was even stuck in a vegetable bed, because I
ran out of cans. It rooted on its own, even with freezing nights. The
mycorrhizae seems to make the difference.
Just my experiences.
Doreen Howard
Zone 4b-Wisconsin, where the maples are coloring, the birch are yellowing
and the mums are blooming. Can Fall be this early????