nafex - Re: [nafex] Weak Grape Cuttinings

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Weak Grape Cuttinings
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 07:56:11 -0700

Thomas:
You might try using some mycorrhizal fungi on the plants. I've had
excellent results with it, stimulating more root production. (see the link
on my web site)
As to cuttings staying alive with one root, I had a cutting of a muscadine
grape (which are VERY hard to root from dormant cuttings) that put out a
couple of leaves and sat, all summer, then died back like it had gone
dormant in the fall. This was in an unheated greenhouse. The cutting had a
big knob of callus, but no roots. It was still alive, so I left it. The
next spring it finally put out ONE root from the mass of callus. I gave it
the fungi and fertilized it with fish and the root grew like mad, growing
and branching almost like a big tap root, and the plant took off.
-Lon
----------
>From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
>To: "'nafex@egroups.com'" <nafex@egroups.com>
>Subject: [nafex] Weak Grape Cuttinings
>Date: Mon, Aug 14, 2000, 7:47 AM
>

>Hello,
>
>I am a first time grape cutting grower, and I must have done soemthing
>wrong.
>
>I started the cuttings early spring, and a couple of them still have just
>one or two leaves, and the root system in tiny.
>
>I used Pro-Mix seed starter as the growth medium. The cuttings were kept
>moist and I followed all the rules, but the cuttings did not thrive (St.
>Croix).
>
>In repotting them today one had a single root may 1.5" long and two leaves
>about 1" across. The other had the smae size leaves, but the root was
>just an 1/8th" long.
>
>It was most likely foolish, but I repotted them anyway in well composted
>sheep manure (top soil like), mixed with a small amount of Pro-Mix (seed
>starter medium) to lighten it up a bit.
>
>I hold little hope for them, but what have I done wrong.
>
>I threw one away that had the 1" leaves, but NO roots at all since
>February, which I find hard to believe the leaves lasted this long.
>
>Regards,
>Tom
>
>--
>Thomas Olenio
>Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

"We Won’t Let Your Credit History Decide Your Fate!
Easy Approval – No Up-Front Deposit – No Credit Turndowns
Apply Now For Your Magna Plus Visa Card"
http://click.egroups.com/1/8346/0/_/423498/_/966264967/