nafex - [nafex] Weak Grape Cuttinings

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'nafex@egroups.com'" <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Weak Grape Cuttinings
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:47:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I am a first time grape cutting grower, and I must have done soemthing
wrong.

I started the cuttings early spring, and a couple of them still have just
one or two leaves, and the root system in tiny.

I used Pro-Mix seed starter as the growth medium. The cuttings were kept
moist and I followed all the rules, but the cuttings did not thrive (St.
Croix).

In repotting them today one had a single root may 1.5" long and two leaves
about 1" across. The other had the smae size leaves, but the root was
just an 1/8th" long.

It was most likely foolish, but I repotted them anyway in well composted
sheep manure (top soil like), mixed with a small amount of Pro-Mix (seed
starter medium) to lighten it up a bit.

I hold little hope for them, but what have I done wrong.

I threw one away that had the 1" leaves, but NO roots at all since
February, which I find hard to believe the leaves lasted this long.

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio