nafex - [nafex] Squirrel Control

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Squirrel Control
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 23:58:28 -0700

1. Since there seems to be some interest in controlling squirrels, I
outline below my method. It's really not too complicated. I pick them
off with a pellet gun. That's why it may not be for everyone.
2. Set up a bird feeder on a wooden post, not more than 25-35 feet from
a convenient window or door overlooking the garden or orchard. If your
field of fire is not clear, that is, if errant pellets could wind up in
a neighbors' yard, you really can't do it.
3. Fill the feeder with black oil sunflower seed. You will also
attract quite a number of beautiful birds, especially cardinals, finches
and bluejays, and the squirrels will come to the seed before anything
else in your yard.
4. Get a good pellet gun, highly accurate, with a muzzle velocity of at
least 500 feet per second (fps). The cheaper, pump-up models lack both
the accuracy and punch to do the job. Mine is a single-shot spring
piston model with a muzzle velocity of 800 fps, but there are CO2 models
that will also give you adequate velocity. If you are in a semi-rural
area, just use .22 shorts. Anything you buy for this purpose, whether a
good pellet gun or single-shot .22, will cost over $100.
5. Practice a little until you can consistently put a pellet in a 3-4
inch area at about 30-35 feet. With practice, you can learn to hold the
gun steady, or you can also steady it against a door or window. Squeeze
the trigger slowly for an accurate shot. I fire from inside the house
through a sliding glass door, and there is hardly a sound, except for
the squirrel dropping from the feeder. When I started doing this about
3 years ago, I was able to count as many as 16 squirrels in the yard
simultaneously. During some weeks, as many as a half-dozen squirrels
went out, paws up, but now the breeding population has been reduced and
I average about one per week. There are fewer in the yard all the time,
but I have noticed that only a block or so away there are still plenty
of squirrels, attracted by the numerous oak trees. I have no problem
with the squirrels that are a block away.
6. I think that Donna's suggestion of a good dog, and Doreen's
experience indicate that the right dog would be an excellent alternative
solution. We have four cats, which keep the vole population in check,
but I have been advised by my wife that if I get a dog both the dog and
I can hit the road together.
7. I know that there are many people who would not consider using any
type of firearm, even an air-powered pellet gun, and obviously my
solution will not work for them. I am not trying to sell this method,
but I was at my wits end with the squirrels, and this is what has worked
for me.
So just call me the SHORTDISTSHTR.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Need some home improvement repairs done? Win A Guy and make him do it!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6285/0/_/423498/_/963028858/