nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Chipmunk/squirrel control follow-up

  • From: the fluffy bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Chipmunk/squirrel control follow-up
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 02:59:13 -0400

Gang:

In regard to squirrel crunch and munch:

Squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, and possum etc are all classified as small
game animals. Most people generalize their care, which IMHO is a
mistake. Rabbits and squirrels really need to field dressed immediately
to insure quality meat. And even at this squirrels are slightly
different than the other critters of the woods. Squirrel meat is very,
very delicate and easily picks up odd tastes. What this means is once
the animal is dead you should begin dressing it immediately. A delay of
15-20 minutes can seriously erode the quality of the meat.

Secondly, you really need to be able to "read" a squirrel in order to
know how to prepare it. Young squirrel tails are cone shaped. The
come to a little point, old squirrels have more uniform tail shapes. A
young squirrel has bright teeth, and lighter skin when contrasted with an
older squirrel.

The reason I mention this is age is in large part going to determine your
cooking method. There is no reason to stew or pressure cook a young
squirrel. The meat is sweet, mild and delicious when pan fried. Almost
any southern fried chicken mix works well.

One method I use is to combine fat free saltine crackers with quick
oatmeal, grinding it up a bit then I add black pepper, cayenne pepper,
sage, and thyme. I mix two egg whites with a bit of milk in a dish,
moisten the squirrel and then toss the into a plastic bag loaded with the
breading mix. Shake the little devils up and then pan fry them in Canola
oil.

A relish of a fresh tart apple, dried cranberries, dried cherries,
raspberries, chopped dates, raisins and garlic roasted pecans is an
excellent flavor enhancer.

For a side dish I like grilled green and red peppers(toss the peppers
with a bit of fresh tarragon when you finish grilling them) combined with
chilled marinated button mushrooms. To make this you simply mince up
some garlic in a pat of butter, add the whole button mushrooms and saute
until they begin to soften. Add a medium grade of Burgundy wine and
simmer till tender. Refrigerate the mushrooms in the liquid until cold
and then add to the freshly grilled peppers.

Wishing all of you the very best,

the fluffy one
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.