nafex - Re: [nafex] bug resistant apple?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] bug resistant apple?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 23:27:38 -0400

My husband's uncle has an apple tree that gets very little insect
damage. It was one of the Cornell numbered trees (a sibling of Liberty)
and is hardy and productive, with tasty flesh if you like tart apples (I
do). He does have a few other apples on the property, all of which have
lots of bugs. BUT the skin on the resistant one is very tough and
somewhat bitter. I have assumed that the apples resist bugs BECAUSE the
skin is tough and bitter - hard to chew through, and perhaps a little
toxic, at least to worms.

Yours sounds like a winning home orchard tree. I second Lon, take good
care of it, and give scions to friends.

Ginda Fisher
Zone 6, Eastern Mass.