nafex - [nafex] bug resistant apple?

  • From: "Ward Barnes" <ward_p_barnes@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] bug resistant apple?
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:54:49 PDT

Hi everyone:

In my orchard of some 50 apple trees I have one that over the past 3 years
has had no or very few worm or other bug damage even in years (like this one
in which I did not spray) that the other apples are hit very hard. This is
my wife's favorite eating apple and is not a bad cooking apple either. The
variety is unknown to me as this was a fully developed orchard prior to me
purchasing the property. Can this be a bug resistant apple and can the
properties be transferred to established trees (I don't see how) or perhaps
onto rootstock to establish a more reduced labor organic orchard?

Ward Barnes
Coastal Zone 7
Middlesex County, VA.