nafex - Re: [nafex] Bears in orchards

  • From: "Angel de los Andes" <zapala@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Bears in orchards
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:03:30 GMT

I have had very little experience with bears, although they are around and I
see them periodically. My orchard, house, and outbuildings are in the
middle of an open area surrounded by fields - and bears (unlike nocturnal
deer) like cover.

A friend not too far away has plenty of them in his orchard. He can see them
from his deck in the apple trees - if there's only 2-3 apples on the tree
and they are high up, a bear will climb to get them breaking many branches
en route. He shoots at them and that scares them away. But they come back.

I would never stake a dog in an orchard so it can't get away. It has to be
able to run or defend itself. A bear can tear a dog in two with just one
swoop of his paw. My father used to hunt bears and he lost more than one
hound that way. They are vicious and need space - stay away -they are not
meant to be pets even if they're on your back porch.

A call to the Heath Orchards in Stanstead, Quebec, might help you get some
useful information. The orchard was sold last year by Peter Health to Chris
Rawlings - they are in the phone book.

I think if there is a big bear population in your orchard, there is little
to do except poison them or shoot them - I don't think there's a
humane solution. But like deer, for every one you shoot, 5 more are waiting
in the woods to come out.

Here in Vermont, the State Fish and Game Service has done a very poor job of
controlling the deer herd, particularly, antlerless deer - the females.
They are protected during the regular rifle season and can't be shot, and
they have multiplied out of all reason and proportion.

I think the real answer to the bear and deer problem rests with maintaining
control of the size of the bear/deer population. Deer here are like
cockroaches - they are everywhere, especially, does.

Regards from the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont
where it was 42 at 6 AM this morning.

Armando Bona