nafex - RE: [nafex] Re: Apple seed storage

  • From: "Bell, Richard" <rbell@afrs.ars.usda.gov>
  • To: "'nafex@egroups.com'" <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] Re: Apple seed storage
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:07:22 -0400

Some of the responses to this topic seem to be talking about long-term seed
storage, but the original question concerns not "storage" but
stratification, which is a process necessary to fully mature or after-ripen
the seeds, and to remove germination inhibitors and release the seed from
dormancy. The procedure I would follow is as follows:

The seed should be removed from the fruit at fruit maturity or slightly
before harvest maturity. Wash the seed in a collander under running water.
They can be treated with a fungicide such as captan to prevent
rotting. Alternatively, they can be disinfected with a 20% bleach solution
for 15 minutes, followed by washing in the collander for 2 minutes or so to
remove the bleach.

The seed should then be stratified in moist (but not wet) peat in a
container, for example polyethylene zip-lock bags, and stored at 3 to 5 C
(37-40 F) for 6 to 8 weeks. I would allow some air in the bags during
stratification, that is, I would not press all of the air out before
sealing. This will provide enough oxygen for the seeds.

I hope this helps.

Richard L. Bell

Win a Handyman and up to $20,000 in repairs to boot!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6287/0/_/423498/_/963346545/