nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Apple seed storage

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Apple seed storage
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:54:00 -0500

Joe,

I've saved seed from the Granny Smiths, Galas, Braeburns, etc. purchased
at the grocery, and stored 'em in a small container of corn meal at room
temp, until I was ready to stratify them in the fridge. Rinse well to
remove any residual cornmeal dust - probably wouldn't hurt to run 'em
through a 1:30 bleach solution to kill any mold spores, soak overnight,
then stratify in the 'fridge as you normally would. Most of mine handled
thusly have germinated just as well as those that went directly from the
apple into a stratification bag. I usually forget where I've put them, and
they all germinate before I get around to trying to plant them out.

Lon R. sent some dried quince seed he'd obtained several years ago, and
they germinated OK despite having been dried for an undetermined period of
time.
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

Win A Handyman ...and make him fix up your place!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6288/0/_/423498/_/963348840/