nafex - Re: [nafex] Black Walnut skin removal

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Black Walnut skin removal
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:37:30 -0500

At 04:04 PM 07/11/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I am in Colorado and have a black walnut loaded with nuts this year---Can
>anyone
>suggest a methop of getting the outside covering off without permanently
>dying
>hands and everything within 5 yards?????
> dale3693@aol.com

I dump mine out in my gravel driveway and run over them with the car/truck
for a week or so - this will loosen or remove the majority of husk
material, the remainder of which can be removed manually. If you don't
want your hands stained, wear a pear of latex gloves or even leather work
gloves.
After removal of the majority of husk material, I dump them into a 5 gallon
bucket of water and stir briskly with a crowbar, changing the water until
it comes relatively clear, then spread in a cool dry place to cure. Any
nuts that float are discarded(after cracking a few to make sure they're not
a superior, thin-shelled type), as they're usually 'blanks'.

I've heard of people using one of the old-fashioned hand-cranked corn
shellers to loosen husks, and I have one, but have never used it for that
purpose. I'm under the impression that you still have to do quite a bit of
manual husk removal, though.
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

Make your old place like new... Win A Guy!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6294/0/_/423498/_/963347852/