nafex - [nafex] Re: Apple seed storage

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Apple seed storage
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:33:26 -0000

--- In nafex@egroups.com, jhecksel@v... wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> I intend to grow some Liberty X Dolgo seedlings next year. Does
anybody
> have any pointers regarding storage of seeds? (Side note: I am
getting
> interested in hard cider and want to create some easy-to-grow
> bittersharp cultivars)
>
> In previous years I stored seeds of assorted crosses in the
> refrigerator. Many of the super-hardy cultivars produce seeds with
very
> low chill requirements and they sprouted in January. January is
not the
> most opportune time to pot-out apple plantlets. Dolgo qualifies as
> super-hardy cultivar.
>
> I assume that one can dry apple seeds and re-hydrate when needed.
Is
> there any special procedure I need to follow?
>
> Finally, does anybody (Bernie) have information on the apple
cultivar
> September Red? Is it worth growing in USDA Zone 5?
>
> Best regards from a soggy, soggy, Eaton Rapids Michigan.

I am on unsure ground on much of this but here goes:
I have a propagation book that goes into detail about how to dry
seeds and then store them in the freezer for long term storage.
There is some procedure to it, but as I remember it didn't sound
difficult. Is this what you're interested in? If so, let me know
and I'll get the details for you. I've never tried this myself.

On the sprouting characteristics, did you find any difference between
sprouting characteristics whether the super-hardy cultivar was the
pollen parent or not? I would guess (but I'm very uncertain here)
that the sprouting characteristics would tend to follow the female
parent (I'm guessing Liberty is the female parent as it is listed
first).

I'd be very interested in hearing about your breeding results. I'm
just beginning to be interested in hard cider varieties.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

Make your old place like new ...Win A Handyman!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6290/0/_/423498/_/963344360/