nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple seed storage

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple seed storage
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:14:48 -0400 (EDT)

According to "The Grafter's Handbook";

Store small quantities in plastic bags in damp peat or peat/sand

Store large quantites in pots buried in the yard, again with peat or
peat/sand and provide rodent protection.

There is a good long paragraph on how to treat the seed for more complete
germination (pg.72)

It includes air drying, placement in sacks with 1/3 weight of charcoal,
the sack is then submerged in 74C (165F) warm water for 10 seconds (kept
moving), removed and allowed to air dry on slats, then plunged into the
warm water again for 10 more seconds, then the sacks go into a cold
chamber 2C (36F) and kept wet, yet aerated, shaking and turning the sacks
every other day. In six to seven weeks the seeds will be ready to be
sown.

All crdit to R.J. Garner.

There are a couple other methods mentioned for apples seeds as well.

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio