nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple seed storage

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple seed storage
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:18:46 +0000

Hi,
I have grown apple seedlings for several years now and have had excellent
results storing the seeds in marked jars in the refrigerator. Early
sprouting may depend on variety, temperature, maturity and other factors.
Mine have not always sprouted before planting. When they did, I planted them
(in Peters potting mix which wets more easily than Pro-Mix) in deep six
packs called 606 in nursery supply catalogs. They then can be planted out in
better weather. I do this in Zone 3 with no problem. My main concern with
freezing is that commercial freezers are set to operate at 0 degrees or less
ideally. This is very cold and can be drying in a frost free unit. They can
be frozen outside but it is difficult to get and keep a consistent freezing
temperature above ground and ground frost can vary from year to year. Hard
to control this environment.
An alternative to storing indoors would be to sow them outdoors in a
coldframe set over where you intend them to grow in the garden. The main
concern here would be the possibility of rodents eating the seed. If you are
growing a limited number, it may be possible to set some sort of protection
over the seeds that could be removed before growth starts in the spring.
Good luck, let us know how it goes....................vic

jhecksel@voyager.net wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I intend to grow some Liberty X Dolgo seedlings next year. Does anybody
> have any pointers regarding storage of seeds? (Side note: I am getting
> interested in hard cider and want to create some easy-to-grow
> bittersharp cultivars)
>
> In previous years I stored seeds of assorted crosses in the
> refrigerator. Many of the super-hardy cultivars produce seeds with very
> low chill requirements and they sprouted in January. January is not the
> most opportune time to pot-out apple plantlets. Dolgo qualifies as a
> super-hardy cultivar.
>
> I assume that one can dry apple seeds and re-hydrate when needed. Is
> there any special procedure I need to follow?
>
> Finally, does anybody (Bernie) have information on the apple cultivar
> September Red? Is it worth growing in USDA Zone 5?
>
> Best regards from a soggy, soggy, Eaton Rapids Michigan.

> Need a credit card?
> Instant Approval and 0% intro APR with Aria!

0% Introductory APR!
Instant Approval!
Aria Visa - get yours today.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6035/0/_/423498/_/963263864/