nafex - [nafex] Apple seed storage

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: "nafex@egroups.com" <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Apple seed storage
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:26:01 -0700

Hello All:

I intend to grow some Liberty X Dolgo seedlings next year. Does anybody
have any pointers regarding storage of seeds? (Side note: I am getting
interested in hard cider and want to create some easy-to-grow
bittersharp cultivars)

In previous years I stored seeds of assorted crosses in the
refrigerator. Many of the super-hardy cultivars produce seeds with very
low chill requirements and they sprouted in January. January is not the
most opportune time to pot-out apple plantlets. Dolgo qualifies as a
super-hardy cultivar.

I assume that one can dry apple seeds and re-hydrate when needed. Is
there any special procedure I need to follow?

Finally, does anybody (Bernie) have information on the apple cultivar
September Red? Is it worth growing in USDA Zone 5?

Best regards from a soggy, soggy, Eaton Rapids Michigan.

Need a credit card?
Instant Approval and 0% intro APR with Aria!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6034/0/_/423498/_/963257069/